11 Nov The Dos & Don’ts of Home Remodeling
While home remodeling is an exciting time for most, it’s also full of stress and life lessons. The best way to learn is from doing, of course, but we have collected some of our best pieces of advice for homeowners looking to remodel.
1. Do hire a contractor you can get along with. Whomever you hire will spend a decent chunk of time in your home, so their personality’s compatibility with your own is important.
2. Don’t leave your contractor hanging. Make sure you speak with them on a daily basis, whether it’s by phone, or face-to-face.
3. Do get a written contract. A quality contract will contain the following: expected time constraint, total cost (plus an inclusion on how add-ons will be dealt with), a payment schedule, the names and phone numbers of all involved parties, your contractor’s license number, a description of the project–including your expectations and the contractor’s statement of work, and guidelines for early termination.
4. Don’t be overbearing. The crew doesn’t need to be micromanaged by you. As an alternative, meet with the project foreman on a weekly basis to discuss your weekly expectations and the progress that’s being made.
5. Do stay within your budget. Talk to you contractor about what is available to you given your price range and develop a plan of action based off of these numbers.
6. Don’t forget to check beyond your home’s walls. Faulty wiring, leaks, and drafts can all come to light after a project is complete–so make sure these are all squared away before they break your budget.
7. Do understand that the price of materials usually indicates quality. If you are unsure of the investment value of a particular product, talk to your remodeling company. An expensive item that could last you decades may be a smarter purchase than a cheaper, lower-quality alternative.
8. Don’t wait for the painter to arrive before you choose colors. Know what you want and what you expect so that your painters can deliver in a timely manner. This goes for most aspects of the project as well–it’s best to have an idea of what you’re looking for before you break ground on a project.
Looking for a Home Remodel in Apex, NC?
It’s great to be prepared for home remodeling projects. Our skilled and qualified professional contractors can guide you through this process and can offer our advice and expertise on a variety of home projects. To learn more or to get a free quote, call 919-290-2909 or fill out our contact form.